Thursday, September 2, 2010

Deuteronomy 4

Remember and be obedient.

Remember what happened and remember what He taught us.  Do what He tells us to do and everything will work out fine.

Pretty simple instructions.  Not too hard to follow -- while sitting here at my comfortable desk in my home, fridge full, job waiting, kid safely at school.  What challenges God has kept me from?  What difficulties have I been exempted from in this life?  I sometimes wonder if the true challenge for Christians here in the easy lanes isn't ennui and easiness.  I think Satan's greatest weapon against people in my vicinity is luxury and comfortable-ness.  Look what God did with His chosen people.  He didn't hand them the keys to a mansion the day after they calmly decided it was time to leave Egypt because the job prospects didn't look too good anymore.  They ran out during a plague and were chased by an army.  They wandered in the desert for forty years.  They had to fight for what God had promised them.  God winnowed out the unworthy during that time and wore the rest down until they were just how He wanted them.

No comments:

Post a Comment