Sunday, December 12, 2010

God Bless Us

In just a few hours, I will be in the choir loft, hoping to reach someone with the gospel through our performance.  It will be beautiful.  I just added two posts for two of my favorite pieces that we will do tonight.  We have an exquisite baritone lined up to solo the first verse of The Dream Isaiah Saw.  I will break the unwritten rule of the tenor section by crying (as always!  Makes me think of Tom Hanks' character in A League of Their Own "There's no crying in baseball!"  That's what they get for letting an aging woman sing a man's part.)  You can read about our last performance here from the pastor's point of view.

Meanwhile, my son recently informed me that he isn't really a Christian.  I handled it well.  No bursting into tears, no repercussions.  I can understand - I haven't been a Christian all that long myself.  But now my ardent desire for the Second Coming is tempered by that knowledge.  My son won't go with me tonight.  I'm crying right now a little just thinking about it.  The performance would be just a bunch of pretty songs to him.  With an annoying message in the middle.  While I was looking through the clips on You Tube for Jesus Christ the Apple Tree, there were some maybe better performances there, but they were sung by little kids.  Beautifully, but I struggle to imagine that any of them felt the meaning behind "I'm weary with my former toil"  or "And pleasure dearly I have bought"

This fruit does make my soul to thrive, it keeps my dying faith alive, which makes my soul in haste to be with Jesus Christ the apple tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment