Thursday, May 27, 2021

Hydration Meditation

I have been meditating more lately and I have to say that the effects on my life are good and surprising.  I'll say more about that in another post.  What I want to tell you about now is my new practice.  This does not replace my morning and evening complete concentration meditation, but is something I've started to incorporate at various times in the day.

Some days I am better at drinking water than other days.  When I find myself lagging behind on consumption, I set aside about 10 minutes to stop and focus on hydrating myself.  I have messages in my head from my childhood that make that difficult and since I am usually constipated, when I was in a stress cycle and not eating well, drinking water could sometimes cause cramps and pain.  I need to actively work to replace those messages.

I have found a lovely Tibetan Bowl track on Spotify that has water sounds in the background and runs just over 10 minutes.  I queue that up with a 10-second bell track at the beginning and end, so that I don't wonder when I'm done.  Then, armed with a nice container of water, I sit comfortably, rest my hands around the container, close my eyes and think about my breathing.  I start the playlist and slowly think "Water is good, water is healing" while really thinking about how true that is.  I repeat that message over and over and over to myself.  Every so often, without opening my eyes, I sip some water, all while thinking about how good and healing the water is and focusing on being here and now.

Eventually the playlist ends and I get back to whatever I was doing.  I am more peaceful and certainly more hydrated!  Win-win!

No comments:

Post a Comment