Thursday, May 27, 2021

Research: Swollen, Bruised Finger Joint

 Published August 30, 2019

An Acute Blue Finger: A Case of Achenbach's Syndrome

While I was driving to work today, I had another painful finger.  Since I've been having a lot of "some sort" of arthritis pain, I didn't think too much about it.  When I got to work and was in the plant with really good lighting, however, I noticed that the joint was also bruised.  I have not had any injury to that hand recently and haven't been carrying anything heavy.  I've had episodes of Raynaud's in the past, but this seemed different.  Painful.  Hot, slightly swollen.  I did some research.

According to the interweb, this is a rare and self-limiting condition that needs no treatment. Gee, thanks. Since it is mostly reported by middle-aged women, there's nothing to get all excited about.  And it goes away without treatment.  Never mind that it is painful and keeps coming back.  Just pat the women on the head and send them home.


Published May 16, 2019

Analysis of 24 patients with Achenbach's syndrome

The only thing this analysis seemed to show is that this happens to women more than men.  And further research is needed.  "According to current knowledge, Achenbach's syndrome is not among the know causes of mortality of morbidity." Really???

No comments:

Post a Comment