Sunday, March 13, 2022

Breakfast Quinoa with fruit

 Presoaking quinoa seems like it's a good idea for digestive reasons, but I dislike having too much fuss in an everyday recipe. I was looking through Thrive Magazine Vol. 37 and saw two things that sparked the following jam. I also like that the fruit gets cooked, easier on the gut when things are no fun in there, and since I should eat the skins, they get cooked a bit too. I tried cooking the grains in 100% coconut milk and while it was good and very porridge-like, I found it to be too much oil. Perhaps half almond, half coconut would be a nice choice sometimes?


Put 1/4 cup white quinoa into a fine strainer, rinse the quinoa for a few moments, then set the strainer into the small cooking pot and let the grains soak while you...

Cut up a small apple/peach/pear, whatever. Drop into a small non-stick frying pan with a nice little pat of butter. After a moment sprinkle a bit of cinnamon/cardamom/clove/nutmeg and a slight drizzle of maple/molasses/honey. Let that stew just a few moments, then set aside to...

Drain the grains, add 1/2 cup almond milk, add a small pinch of salt and put onto the heat. Turn it up real high, stirring and watching it get up to a simmer-ish thing. Pop on the lid, drop the heat to a really low setting, set a timer for 8 minutes and when it goes off, stir the grains to get all the stuff that climbed the sides back into the mix. 

I tend to just eat from the pot because less dishes, but I have been working harder to try to do my esthetic sense a favor and put the grains into a pretty bowl and drop the fruit on top like a civilized person.

No comments:

Post a Comment