Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Designing Things

I'm not very creative. I'm very crafty. I can make things based on others' designs. I can make very well-made, pretty things based on others' designs. I can stray pretty far from those designs into fabulous variations. I cannot, however, create things only out of my thoughts. Actually, my thoughts are not that tangible, I think (pun intended). I don't seem to imagine things anymore; I can see something tangible and determine whether it will work well with this fabric or that yarn or in another color scheme, but actually visualizing the finished product seems to be a skill I have lost, if I ever had it very strongly to begin with. Nice to realize one's own limitations. Perhaps I'll stop expecting myself to design stuff from scratch from now on, and concentrate on making wonderful variations of other's designs.




This is what got me out of bed (a few minutes early) today.

1 comment:

  1. That's 'cause, I hate to say it, you doing it wrong. Design is not sitting in front of an empty piece of paper waiting for inspirational brilliance to strike. It is doing a thousand iterations thoughtfully, making small improvements each time.

    I'd say you are well on your way.

    ReplyDelete