Saturday, September 24, 2011

So. How is this supposed to work?

1) I find a farm-ette with less than 10 acres within commuting distance from my current job with a mortgage at the same level as currently.  Must have a couple of tillage acres and pasture, with year-round water and some kind of house.  Small barn would be a bonus.  (Wooded section for pigs???)

2) For several years I work on the flora end of the farm.  Veggies and fruits while keeping my day job.

3) Move into small-scale grain production (for feed) with a small tractor.  Develop the pasture into a cow-feeding heaven growing grasses and whatnot for three-season foraging.  I'm still working at my day job.

4) I add chickens to the mix.  Just a few, at first, to get the hang of things, but adding until I have enough to sustain the flock and provide income from the truly free-range eggs and the occasional fried chicken dinner.  Can I give up the full-time day job yet?

5) I add a cow, then two or three.  They pasture around the farm, and the chickens follow.  I start by selling the extra cream, then butter and eventually cheese.  Small hand-made items to maybe a Chicago-suburb restaurant that's into the locavore movement (if it's still around in 10 years!)

6) I settle into a career that takes hard work and sweat, but I plan my own days and don't rely on my brain to try to stay ahead of office politics.  No farm animal will ever tell me to dress better and wear makeup!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment