Saturday, September 24, 2011

What Am I Thinking?

My son turns 18 in 254 more days.  I'll have the opportunity to change my life.  I've been more than a little concerned about what my job is doing to me.  I'm an accountant for a small company that is part of a much larger corporation.  I'd had hopes of moving up the ladder but it has been 4 years since they helped me get my MBA and almost 12 years at the same company, in almost the exact same position.  I really enjoy being an accountant and I LOVE the people I work with.  In fact, I'd be pretty happy to stay where I am if certain things would just change.  Things out of my control.

Except I've been having little tiny mental lapses.  Things that sound silly when I talk about them, but I really rely on my mental abilities to be who I am, and losing that is scaring me.  I'm 47 and aging is scaring me too.  Aches and pains...  Arthritis-like problems in my hands and weird things going on with my knees/ankle...

I actually believe that the mental lapses are stress-related.  I'm worried that they aren't, but I think that they are.  Having a plan to move into a new "career" seems like a prudent move.  I'm thinking crazy that a micro-farm is a good choice, but having a less mental and more physical career may make sense even though my body is aging.  If I plan right, perhaps I can mitigate the physicality?  The right equipment?  I'm not trying to start a big farm, just enough to support myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment