Monday, August 25, 2014

A hare-brained scheme explained

I've been recently looking into living "on the road".  Selling everything except my casual clothes, some kitchen gear and my craft tools.  Buying a pickup and a 30-ft fifth wheel and running away to ... wherever the wind takes me!  With some craft fairs thrown in for gas money.  I figure if I work very hard for the next 3-5 years, I'll have enough to pay cash for the rig, then it'll just be about food, campsites and gas money.  Instead of paying way too much for a condo that is now worth SO MUCH less than I paid for it.  I like the idea of living small, and i LOVE the idea of seeing the country.  Really seeing it, not just making little week-long trips to see pieces and parts of it.  All the National Parks, and lots of the state parks, and historical places... We traveled a lot when I was a kid, my dad got pretty good vacation time and we'd take off in a mom-and-dad-converted van for two week chunks of travel all over the country + Canada.  Except Texas.  (and Alaska!)

Even some of the affordable fifth wheel RV's are pretty amazing and have everything but a washer/dryer for clothes.  For one person, there'd be plenty of space and I could totally rig it to be a dandy crafting space.  I've seen some of the rigs on Pintrest (not SO much pink, please!!) and it can be done.

I'd like to do this before I'm too old to enjoy myself, or before I come down with something deadly.  There are services to help with roadside assistance, and mail delivery and etc.  I know it wouldn't be totally cheap, and it would be kinda lonely even for a loner like me, but social media will help.  And it wouldn't necessarily be forever.  A girl can dream, can't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment