Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Painted (Young) Man

My son got two more tattoos the night before last, bringing him up to three.  He wants to get full sleeves, or at least one sleeve.  He assures me he wants to get many, many more.

I can't tell you how sad this makes me.  I don't love all the tattoos people are getting these days.  Even highly paid fashion models have them.  Sports stars, movie stars.  Piercings, holes, gauges, scars, tattoos.

I think they are cries for help.  I think they are little signs that a person doesn't feel appreciated, and wants to feel special and somehow can only feel that way by permanently painting special-ness on themselves.  It makes me especially sad that my son just doesn't see how pathetic they make him look.  How very alike all the other tattooed people in the country.  It's like those kids who all wear black eye makeup and black nail polish and black clothes with a thousand safety pins in them, and work so very hard to look different, but just like all the other kids who wear the same "Different" uniform.

No comments:

Post a Comment