Monday, March 14, 2011

Scanner or ADHD?

I always overthink things.

Ovethinking things keeps me from doing much of anything.  Not that I don't do things, but I don't stretch out, don't reach farther than I have, further than my comfort zone.  Overthinking keeps me from blogging, for example.  I feel I have to focus what I say to a certain range of topics. And then I feel I need to focus my efforts to that topic as well.  It was quilts, then canning, then I got concerned about my topic and stopped blogging, because in real life, I then was knitting and then beading and now I vacillate between knitting and journaling, with a purse/briefcase project thrown in the middle.

I recently got some nice encouragement on my blog, so I intend to drop some of the inhibitions, and just write. 

I also heard recently about people like me who are called scanners.  This isn't so much how I am at work, but in my off-work-life, I tend to try a craft, get decent at it, get bored with it and move on to something else.  What I am drawn to is the learning more than the final product, I think.  I love to learn things.  I also enjoy having the end product, certainly, but I enjoy the thrill of accomplishing something different.  Now, this is not for everything, mind you.  For example, I recently wanted to buy a briefcase/purse/computer bag and could not find anything close to what I wanted, so I spent a bunch of time (and a little bit too much money) over the last few weeks making myself a bag.  It's not quite finished, because I don't think I like the cover or handle situation.  People have thought it was excellent, and even suggested I make them to sell, but that idea horrifies me.  To have to make it again?  And to please someone other than me?  And if it works out, to have to make it again and again and again???  ARGH!!  I used to beat myself up about not having a focus in my off-work-life, but I'm coming to embrace that and find ways to work with it instead of against it.  I now allow myself to buy the tools of the trade pretty freely, but I'm more careful about the materials.  For example, I've got most knitting needle sizes in 14" and a few circulars, and some cable needles, etc.  I haven't knitted in years, but once I came back to it, I was ready to go.  On the other hand, I refuse (well, try really hard to avoid) to buy material for more than one project at a time, because I could get carried away on the buying end and never get finished with the first one, even!  I have a lot of scrapbook paper hanging around from when I was making book-shaped boxes.  And a number of empty scrapbooks from when I was planning to do more scrapbooking.  Those items are pretty hard to store and I hate seeing them, but I haven't found a good way to get rid of them (beyond recycling, that is)...  Overthinking again.

1 comment:

  1. Scanner or ADHD? Neither. You are what we call a "maker." There are lots of us out here, and a magazine (Make) dedicated to that kind of thinking. Focus? Another way to look at it is "limited." Why focus? You learn to enjoy. It's fun and when it stops being fun, do something else. No need to beat yourself up over it. You knit, you scrapbook, you bead, you quilt, you can, you make bags, you sing...for you. It makes you happy. What you are good at is picking up new skills. So relax...be happy. You're normal.

    ReplyDelete