Saturday, February 2, 2013

A cold, dark stone

I was recently talking with a treasured sister.  She revealed a little of her recent challenge, which I had been unaware of until that conversation.  Broke my heart for her a little.
I have been going through some stuff and talking with her made me feel better.  Partly because it's nice to feel less alone.  Partly because I have always looked to her as a great example of how to live in The Way and while it feels very contrary and selfish, it is reassuring to think that we are ALL challenged by temptations of one kind or another.  Mostly, she was (as always) full of Truth and encouragement.
We cannot trust our feelings.  While it is foolish and dangerous to ignore our feelings completely, they are no good guide for how to live or what to do.  We are called to put aside our fleshly, worldly desires and focus on the things of God.  Called to follow his Word and his Way which is not the way of the world.  No easy task that, some days anyway.  It might even be said that if you're having an "easy" day, then you aren't really paying attention?
I really don't know why God bothers with me.  How He can love me when I spend so much time lately trying to justify my behavior.  I've been so incredibly selfish.  I am so full of pain and empty of joy lately that I have been falling on old habits to try to drive that ratio to what I think is should be, instead of trusting the Spirit to do what He promises, to complete His good work in me.
What did that dear sister say?  What hopeful thing can I find to hold on to through these moments?  What does God say for moments like this?  Come to me, all you who are heavy laden, for my yoke is easy and my burden is light.  Do you know that a yoke is a two-person item and that when you take up that yoke, the Son of the Most High is the guy on the other part?  It can be SO HARD to remember that sometimes, but He really is right there, every moment of every day; crying right now with me.  What father when asked for bread would give his child a stone?
Without the sun, the moon is a cold, dark stone.  Without the son, I am cold and dark---everywhere You are is warmth and light

No comments:

Post a Comment