Sunday, February 17, 2013

Update on the dog I did not adopt

It was a very difficult decision, but I decided not to adopt the Boxer.  Her one personality fault is stubbornness.  She is quite easy-going, but stores up that stubbornness for when she really needs it.  And she saved it for getting to spend the day in my living room.  Which I can totally understand; I like to spend time here myself.  However, after vising two vets in one day last week, she was found to be in false heat.  Not as uncommon as you might think.  The vet who SPAYED her said that internally she had been very swollen and quite a mess.  It would be no surprise for him to have left a small amount of ovarian material.  And this was likely causing her to go into heat.  They leave a small amount of uterus on the back side of the cervix to cover the space over, and this small amount of cervix can react to the small amount of ovary and, boom, she's in heat.  The thing is, she could be in heat for a day, a week, several weeks, or even months.  She was scared to go outside, probably because of this, and coupled with her insistence on staying in the living room meant that I was cleaning blood from everywhere!  Carpet, chair, couch, floor, bed, car seats, pillows, you name it.  That, in addition to her other issues meant that it was just more than I could handle.  I found out early Saturday morning just how heavy a 54-lb dog really is when she didn't want to go outside to go potty.  I'm not surprised that her neck is completely raw from people trying to yank her into submission.   At least I was able to provide her with a quiet place for a few days and a nice, bright pink halter instead of a neck collar.  (And a squeaky, un-stuffed chicken that she loved to carry around the house.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment