Sunday, February 3, 2013

It's God's Word, stop playing around!

Not the title of today's sermon but could have been.  Today was communion Sunday and we've gone back to having the choir stay, so I got to hear it three times.  I also took communion thrice.  For those who are unfamiliar with my church, we are non-denominational, evangelical.  I've heard that Catholics must be in good standing with the Church in order to take communion.  They also have a tendency towards earning the right to salvation.
The passage being preached was Matthew 5:17-20.  Pastor was relating the story of verbal sparring with a good friend and fellow student about parts of the Bible and after a while, he'd simply told his friend that "It's God's Word.  Stop playing around."  A little like the rule-keepers who think they're getting down into the finer points of the rules, but are missing the bigger picture.  The most consistent message from God is "be obedient".  In order to be that, there are lots of other steps and rules and instructions and what not, but in the end, after all the talking and negotiating and wrangling, stop playing around.  Go directly to The Source and do what it tells you to do.
I was born again and have my sins covered wholly by the work of Christ.  There is nothing special about me and not one thing I could possibly do to earn my salvation.  God sent His Son to pay my penalties.  I know that with all my soul.  I took communion (three times) because of that and that alone.  We all sin and fall short.  I didn't used to really believe that as thoroughly as I do now that I am in the throes of temptation.
I can do all things, and can only accomplish anything, through Christ who strengthens me.  Today's anthem:
I could not do without Thee, o Savior of the lost, whose wondrous love redeemed me at such enormous cost. Thy righteousness, Thy pardon, Thy precious blood must be, my only hope and comfort, my glory and my plea.
I could not do without Thee, for, oh, the way is long, and I am often weary and sigh replaces song; Oh, how could I do without Thee? I do not know the way; Thou knowest, and Thou leadest, and wilt not let me stray.
Oh, how could I do without Thee? I do not know the way; Thou knowest and Thou leadest--I follow all the way.
by Frances Havergal and our setting was by Maxine Posegate.  I haven't found it on YouTube and may have to add it myself.  It certainly deserves a place!

No comments:

Post a Comment