Tuesday, February 12, 2013

My new fur-friend, probably

I spent this past Saturday meeting some shelter dogs.  Nice, but not "the one" if you know what I mean.  Today I took a mental health day from work and thought I'd stop by the local Petco and see who they had.
Her name is Lila and she's likely a purebred Boxer.  She's eight years old and has probably been churning out puppies for some human the whole time.  She has the most winsome face!  Wisdom of the ages in those big, sad eyes.  With all she has been through, she has the sweetest disposition.  And holds "it" for up to 12 hours at a time at the shelter.
She is not mine yet.  I am fostering her until Saturday when she gets her last shot and her stitches come out.  She was fixed, but she also had two teats removed.  Her body is a bit of a mess.  Sores on elbows & knees and her neck from the collar.  Other teats are very pronounced and her back end protudes a bit.  I'm hopeful that they will contract over time.  She was surrendered in December, probably just after a litter.  Her fur is a bit of a mess too.  I can hardly wait to help her blossom into the beauty she was meant to be.  Too thin as well.
Two recently retired mothers keeping each other company.  I hate to think that she probably doesn't have many years left, but at least I can make them good.  She is calm, sweet, doesn't mind handling and seems to have no aggression toward men, women, dogs or cats. She is still curious and not particularly timid when frightened.  She even played with me for a little bit.  There is every reason to think she'll make a great companion and be able to visit nursing homes with me!



No comments:

Post a Comment