Sunday, January 23, 2011

In the world but not of it

That is the question for the ages, is it not?  "How do I do that?"  This morning's sermon danced around the edges of that idea.  Acts 17:22-23  Paul certainly knew a great deal about the cultures he was preaching to, but he was also clearly not doing as they were doing, and was quick to point out those things that were not in keeping with Scripture.  I keep thinking that if I were clear on what I was doing that was wrong, or had a clear idea of exactly what God wanted me to do, I would gladly, gratefully do it.  But I don't have any burning bushes in view and no messengers sitting at the foot of my bed.  And I can second-guess (and third-guess) every single thought in my head.  Maybe I have too many voices in my head???  The choices paralyze me.  I'm Albert Brooks in Defending Your Life.  Except I wear nail polish.

No comments:

Post a Comment