Friday, August 27, 2010

Day three - school and...

Start my day off right - a bowl of oatmeal and the Word of God.  Deuteronomy.

The people of Israel still in the desert, after many years.  Moses proclaimed again all that God had commanded to Moses about the people.  God had helped them defeat two kings.

They were probably pretty tired of the desert, but had gotten quite used to it by then.  Forty years is a long time for anything, and they had grown accustomed to that nomadic lifestyle, I imagine.  God sent them out there for that period of time because they had something to learn.  They didn't know it, I think, but that time was nearly up.  What may have felt like giving in, or even defeat to them, in giving in to accept the Will of God for all those years, must have been exactly what God had done it for.  Forty years of following God's orders, dropping everything anytime He said "Move" must have been excruciating for those people in the group who were like me.  I have my own plans, my own ideas about what to do, where to go.  I KNOW I need to trust God and submit, BUT But but...  It is difficult for me.  I am how God made me, however, but I need to really work to let Him have control most of the time.  Those Israelites must have been just bone-weary of the whole thing.  How many times are they called stiff necked?  I can totally identify with that description!  So there they are, after defeating to nearby kings, and Moses is going to summarize what God has done for them.  Did they finally "get" it?  Did they feel special (Hey, these sandals have lasted FORTY years!)?  Or had the specialness worn off already?  Did they have some idea that things were about to change?  Was this enough of a break in the routine that they could feel something in the air?

No comments:

Post a Comment