Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Recipe update-Every Day Oatmeal

I found a couple of keepers and a couple of losers.  Chicken en papilotte was a loser, at least the way I made it.  However, I have two new super-fast, easy recipes that I want to recommend, and my every day oatmeal recipe to share.  First is the Spicy Cioppino, which I made with frozen haddock and no scallops--so I added the frozen chunks of fish to the pan right after starting the onions and just kept adding the rest of the ingredients.  Gnocchi with Zucchini and Parsley Brown Butter was also really good--cut everything up first, because the rest goes so fast!  I also added a splash of balsamic vinegar and probably doubled the parsley, after halving everything first down to one serving, of course, as my son won't touch any vegetables.

Every Day Oatmeal
I call it that because I eat it every day.  Well, except weekends, I suppose.  I can even eat it on days when my stomach is somehow angry with me.  This is for one serving.  I make it up before I leave for work, then after I get settled there, it has been soaking for about 45 minutes.  I prefer my oatmeal to be a little chewy, so if you're someone who likes the creamy wall-paper-paste-like consistency of instant oatmeal, this is not for you!  I make this with a multi-grain mix from Trader Joe's.  I also use plain Activia because I don't want this too sweet.  You could use juice instead of water, and flavored yogurt instead of plain, but this is what works for me, and doesn't leave me with a brown-out an hour later.

1/3 cup multi grain mix (old fashioned oats)
2-3 T dried cranberries
7 dried cherries
just barely enough tap water to soak these
1/4-1/2 granny smith, diced
3-4 T plain Activia

I layer this into a small lidded cup (the yogurt on top helps keep the apple from browning) and stir it just before I eat it.  Chewy and a little sweet and oh-so-good for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment