Monday, August 9, 2010

Old Maid's Puzzle

So instead of making pickles, I started another quilt.  And again, I fell in love with the name of the pattern and just had to do it.  I really prefer to make quilts all on the machine (straight lines) and repetitive patterns because I right now I don't want to do a lot of thinking while sewing (too much thinking elsewhere in my life!)  I have this old pattern book, a reproduction form the mid Sixties of a McKim pattern book from 1931.  I only recently started looking into the history of quiltmaking and found out she had quite the influence here in the U.S.  Anyway, her suggestions for the colors were not to my liking (I have a hard time with pink) so I went to the store with only some vague ideas in mind.  I found a very nice patterned dark brown that reads lighter because of the fun little flowers all over it.  I matched a blue and almost tried a russet, but settled on a pale green instead.  I can imagine myself in a couple of weeks reprimanding myself after staring at the russet for too long, you know?  As much trouble as I have with pink, I have even less use for red.  So I got to work after washing and drying the fabric.  I apparently wanted to take the name to heart, because I made a calculation error (thought I was done piecing, but discovered I had only made half what I needed) and while making the second batch of pieces, I thoughtlessly sewed white to white instead of white to blue.  Not a total loss because I can use it for the border, but I am certainly puzzled by what I was thinking!?!  So a little more cutting and it got too late and I had to get to work this morning, so hopefully I can get it done over the next couple of days. 

The next thing I will have to tackle is my apparent fear of actually quilting my quilts...


Added 8/12/10:
Getting closer!

No comments:

Post a Comment