Wednesday, August 25, 2010

First day of school

Last night I remembered that while my son is in school, I take him there nearly an hour before I need to be at work.  Last year I was using that time to read the Bible and devotionals in the car, at the park between school and work.  So, this morning I took the practice back up, but then had a brainstorm in the middle and wondered if I shouldn't be blogging instead of journaling?  I have this blog in part so that I can help spread the Good News.  So here we are.

Oswald Chambers (His Utmost For My Highest) was discussing a passage, but unfortunately he used the phrase "shut up" over and over.  He, of course, meant something entirely different; something along the lines of "to be closed up" but I just couldn't get past that other, more contemporary meaning.  I could actually hear a girl with a valley accent saying it, and that didn't go with the point Oswald was making.  Similarly, I can't really read To Kill A Mockingbird because I only hear the movie narrator's voice and she speaks so much slower than I normally read that it drives me nutty.

At a Bible study today (Phillipians 2) someone was pointing out that even in VERY trying times, God is there, and in fact uses the challenges to help us rely on Him more completely.  He promises that He will always be with us, and will never give us more than we can handle, but on the other hand, He knows how much we can handle and it is sometimes more than we think we can take.  But trusting Him is the ultimate.  I think He might even kick at the foundation we've chosen to stand on if He sees things there that don't belong or that He knows we should get rid of.  It can be so hard to trust that way, maybe the hardest part of faith for me?  I have such a hard time surrendering - not specifically to God, but just letting go of the tight control I feel I must have over... everything!

I also got my new progressive glasses this evening.  My son says they "don't look too bad" (how encouraging!!!) and they are giving me some head pains and a head ache.  She said it might take up to two weeks to get used to them and suggested I start fresh with them after a good night's sleep.  Being the control nut I am, as soon as I got to the car, I switched back into the new ones and won't take them off - it's either them or me!  Well, I'm off to try them while hand stitching some more buttons on.

No comments:

Post a Comment