Thursday, August 12, 2010

Machinery

I remember now why I usually tie my quilts instead of quilting them.  Or stitch-in-the-ditch.  Anything but free-motion on my little sewing machines.  Yes, machines, plural.  I have an old Brother serger that started making clunking sounds a few months ago.  At first I panicked, wondering how I could possible get along without it, but then I remembered that there is a reason patterns come with 5/8 inch seam allowances.  I've adjusted.

My main machine is a Montgomery Ward Signature.  I believe my mother got it as a present for graduating high school, circa 1955.  It is a serious workhorse.  I rely on it for almost everything.  Unfortunately, the wiring is getting too old, and it really doesn't run slowly.  And if I sew too long, the pedal sort-of melts into the carpet just  little, so I have to remember to set it on top of something.  The posts are not the same as other machines, so I can't use any of the old sewing cabinets I've seen.  But still, I love this machine!  I need to find someone who can bring it back to its old glory.
Some years ago, I bought myself a Penny's machine with bells and whistles.  I lent it to my sister for a few years and when I got it back it didn't seem to work quite right.  Since it was a spare, I didn't worry about it too much.  The wiring is good in this newer machine, however, so I disconnected the feed dogs and now it's my quilting machine.  Since I didn't like the machine anyway, it's feeling won't get any more hurt when I hold my distaste of quilting against it.
I even took pictures of the insides to help me put it back together again after I finally shake this whole quilt-making insanity I seem to have succumbed to!

No comments:

Post a Comment