Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Blueberry Curd

I'm not sure why I tried this recipe, as I'm not that much of a blueberry fan, but WOW!  Every night, on a toasted english muffin.  My scale isn't happy, but I just concentrate on the anti-oxidant boost instead.  I keep finding good berries at low prices, so I keep making more and stashing them in the freezer in one-cup containers.  I cook the whole lemon in there because I like that flavor including the bitter undertones from the pith.  If you don't want that, you can just do the juice and the zest, and skip the cheesecloth part (although I would probably put in an extra half lemon just 'cause I'm like that!)

Blueberry Curd from here
1-1/2 pint blueberries, washed
2 lemons, chopped (zest, pith, seeds and all), tied in cheesecloth
1-3/4 c sugar
6T unsalted butter, cubed
3 eggs, beaten

Cook the berries a few minutes until they get soft, then add in the lemons in cheesecloth.  Cook them for another 10-15 minutes (the longer you cook, the stronger the lemon flavor).  Cool the mixture (perhaps overnight in the fridge?) and then squeeze the juice and pulp out of the cheesecloth- the longer and harder you squeeze, the stronger the lemon flavor.  This goes into the top of a double-boiler, with the sugar.  Heat them together until the sugar is dissolved.  Add the butter and stir until it is melted.  Add the beaten eggs while stirring, and cook for about 20 minutes, until thick and completely cooked through.  Let it cool slightly and strain through a sieve.  This curd will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks, or in the freezer for 6 months (and is not suitable for boiling water canning).

No comments:

Post a Comment