Sunday, July 18, 2010

Turning Point

I've been having trouble with my life lately.  Depression-maybe.  Confusion-yes.  Determination-definitely.  I must have reached the middle point, because I suddenly have no idea what I'm doing with my life and a serious determination to do something helpful.  I've been canning for the last three week-ends and now have more than enough cans of jam to last for...anything.  By the way, I really like the no-sugar-needed pectin and will stick with that from now on.  I made two batches of cherry, one with 1 cup of sugar, and one with 1-1/2 cups.  I also made a batch of peach with one cup of sugar.  Excellent!  Just follow the directions on the package.  It should also work with those weird sweetneres people like to use (but not me.)

I digress.

I have been doing crafts for my whole life.  When I was a kid, the only way I got new clothes was to make them myself.  Mom showed me how to needlepoint, knit and I've picked up practically everything else.  Latchhooking, scrapbooking, crochet, cross-stitch, photography (the old fashioned chemical-laden kind), acrylic, oil painting; the list goes on.  Quilts.  I really can't think of any more helpful craft than quilting.  Sewing clothes really only works if you have specific people in mind.  I tried doll-making but no-one was interested.  I even tried making mittens a few years ago, but that didn't work.  Quilts are sort of one-size-fits-all (o.k. not precisely, but hang with me a minute) item that can be very beautiful if done well, but even if they are less-than-perfect quilts some (homeless?) people could use them.  I also read some advice early today about pursuing arts/crafts for a living and why a person really shouldn't jump in without testing the water first.  (Am I good enough?  What do I expect to put into it?  What do I expect to get out of it?  Does my plan move me toward my end goal?  What is that end goal?  That sort of thing-very helpful)

Quilts.  I think that is my new end goal.  I have about 2 years before I have an empty nest, and that is a good chunk of time to become a better quilter.

No comments:

Post a Comment