Monday, July 12, 2010

Cantaloupe Jam

Well, turns out that the Cantaloupe Jam was a HUGE hit with those folks who love cantaloupe.  I also discovered that the Can Jam ingredient of the month of July includes melons.
  Click for tigress can jam food blog challenge
While I am not a participant of said Can Jam, I have been inspired by the whole canvolution.  I now have far more jams than I could eat in several years, so I'm expecting to give some to folks at work, and perhaps even raffle a few off to support my favorite charity.  The problem is, that the more I make and the more I read, the more other things I want to try.  For example, someone recommended a book that focused primarily on jamming with liquid pectin, something I had been sort-of avoiding, and now want to try.  Then I got to thinking about the fact that "traditional" jam is really liquid candy in a jar, so I've starting wondering about trying the no-sugar-needed pectin, so I can cut the sugar content down to something I can be happy about (perhaps nothing?) depending on the main ingredient.  And we're entering the pickles and then apples seasons, so maybe the jam tinkering will have to wait a year???  We'll see what the next ad brings at the fruit market.

Cantaloupe Jam from here
Cantaloupe
3/4 lb sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t cardamon
1/2 t apple pie spice
     all ingredients are per pound of chopped cantaloupe
Measure all in large pot, with a touch of water.  Cook slowly until the cantaoupe is soft and the desired consistency is reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment