Monday, July 12, 2010

Firecrackers - Spicy Pickled Carrots

I like the hot giardiniera served on sandwiches, but the pepper skins don't agree with my stomach, so I wanted to make my own.  My favorite part are the carrots, so I started with Alton Brown's recipe.  I first dropped some of those incredibly hot little Thai peppers in there, but they didn't release their heat through the skins very much, so I added 8-10 that had been slit - WOW!  The next batch will get the same peppers, slit, but not nearly as many, or else I will get more of a less-hot variety - it just depends on what's available and look fresh at the produce market.
Firecrackers from here
1 c water
1 c sugar
1-1/2 c cider vinegar
1 t onion powder
1/2 t mustard seeds
1-1/2 t kosher salt
1/2 lb mini carrots
peppers to taste

Bring the ingredients (except the carrots and peppers) to boil in a saucepan and simmer 4 minutes.  Put the carrots and peppers in a large jar, pour brine over.  Store in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment