Sunday, July 25, 2010

Less Sugar Pectin

Well, I've decided I really prefer the less-sugar-required pectin.  I made two batches of cherry jam, one with one added cup and one with 1-1/2 added cups of sugar.  The second was better.  Now that several weeks have passed, I've discovered that the jam will mold, unlike full-sugar jams.  I actually take this as a good sign, since food should spoil after while.  Since regular jam is liquid candy, it doesn't seem to spoil.  So I'm sticking with the less-sugar pectin, although I will try a little more sugar next time, to see if the spoilage time increases.  You can add up to 3 cups per batch, and that might be just about right.  The cherry jams are VERY chunky at 1 cup of sugar, not too good for things like thumbprint cookies and rugelach and kolacky and jam layer bars and whatnot.  (mmm!)

No comments:

Post a Comment