Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Doggone

Too much time to think today,  I guess.  I decided to spill my guts about a recent event.  Well, two events, sort of.

About 10 years ago, we adopted a dog from a local shelter.  Her name was Rascal, so we shifted it to Roscoe.  They were vague about her background, suggesting she was collateral damage from a divorce.  She was calmly hanging out in the cages with the cats.  Probably a Rat Terrier, about 16 pounds, black white and tan with a min-pin look to her face.  The vet figured she was a least 5 years old.  Over the years we put quite a few miles behind us.  I think she was actually a cat in a dog suit, as she had that aloof quality - "Hey, I'm glad you're home.  Good to see you, I'm gonna go continue my nap now."  If you threw a ball for her, she thought it was a game you were playing for her to watch.  She was a great pet.

A little over a year ago, something changed with her digestive system.  No gory details, but like clockwork, every third or fourth day, her back end would create a technicolor mess for me to clean up.  Trips to the vet gave us strategies, but barring the REALLY expensive tests, they couldn't find a solution.  I cooked all her meals for 5 months.  We tried every better kind of commercial dog food meant for sensitive stomachs.  She got no treats.  She got only Rice Chex as treats.  She got medicines, both prescription and OTC.  I spent more than I could afford on vet visits and fecal tests and blood tests.  I got really good at cleaning the tile floor with paper towels.  I washed my hands endless times.  My son lost some appetite.  I lost some of my appetite.  She was confined to the kitchen and the hallway where there was no carpeting.  We got used to walking over dog gates.  She spent nearly all her time alone.

So, one day I got tired of the whole thing.  I made some calls and discovered that I could take her to the county animal shelter and they would take her off my hands, evaluate her condition and deal with the results.  For $20.00, if you can imagine.  So we did that.  And now I can't help but feel guilty even though I know I did what I had to do.  You see, she didn't seem to mind the whole thing, the incontinence, I mean.  She never seemed to be in any pain.  She got used to making messes in the house and didn't seem particularly distressed by the whole thing.  But she was, like, fifteen years old.  And clearly had some kind of problem...

Well, that was event number one.  Two days later my mother called to let me know that her mother, my grandma, had died.  My mother was handling it pretty well, considering that just a very few weeks earlier, on the first anniversary of my father's death, she found out that she had breast cancer.  She is in treatement and the prognosis is excellent.

I have a feeling I'm not really handling things all that well.  Stoic.  Impassive.  Strong.  (Depressed, I think.  Maybe overwhelmed.)  Most of the time I keep busy, but other times I feel so...so...adrift?  Bad timing for raising a teenager, too. 

Here Roscoe is was, in her harness, no longer tri-colored, as the brown had faded to black and white.  Hated having her toenails trimmed (she would nip me!) so she was always clicking around the kitchen.  Now there's nobody to lick up the drips and crumbs.

2 comments:

  1. Stay strong. And remember that no matter where you go and no matter what you do there are people in this world who will never lose faith in you and the light that shines from you.

    see: Song of Songs 4:7

    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote about hard subjects and parts were hard to read. If you aren't overwhelmed, it may just be because you aren't paying attention. . I am happy that your mother's prognosis is excellent. All the same, no matter your relationship with your mom, good, bad or indifferent, when mom is sick, it throws their daughters for loops. More than they usually realize if they tend to be the strong type.

    As for your dog, what is done, is done. At her age, there is a good possibility that she had something that was going to bring her to the close of her days, no matter what you did or didn't do. I don't know if they told you what they decided at the shelter but given her age and condition, I suspect they handled the situation in the same way a vet would have suggested had she been fully aware of the circumstances, including the time she was spending alone. So now, because you reacted out of frustration, you feel guilty.

    I suspect if you'd taken her in with the express purpose to have her put to sleep with a doctor's blessing, you'd feel sad, a little guilty at feeling relieved that things had concluded, but not a bit guilty at the decision. So let it go, it is done. She is in a better place - at least I believe that. The end result is the same, it is the process you are fretting over. You can't change anything about it but the next time, you won't get sucker punched by a situation you hadn't dealt with, before. You tried to help her "heal" with better food and medication but sometimes, our best efforts aren't enough. And that is a tough situation. I've known a few people with elderly dogs who have done through what you did and most of them waited too long to let their babies go. As one told me, you never think this is the going to be the day you make that final decision - even when you know it is time or you think it is time. Even the ones who were absolutely in love with their dogs got frustrated and felt so guilty about it.

    I don't know if that helps or that hurts but my intentions are good.

    ReplyDelete