Thursday, July 1, 2010

Reading on a Reader

I have a Sony Reader, and I really like it.  It was a special gift from a friend, and it saves my sanity while I'm waiting for one thing or another (a grumpy teenager, mostly).  I have no extra money for books, and the local library leaves something to be desired.  I am particular about what I put inside my head, and so I prefer older books.  The Reader is perfect for this, since I can download more free books than I can ever read from either Project Gutenberg or Google Books (public domain books).  I am currently reading Robinson Crusoe because of a comment I heard on Moody Radio.  I've even managed to get some John Piper books and Classic Christian Books Online and Christian PDF Books etc.  I also found that Calibre was a very helpful tool for getting stuff from .pdf to the ePub format that makes for better reading.  I already have a little over 800 books lurking in the shadows of my hard drive, just waiting for the miraculous day when I have time to really read.  That's another reason I prefer the Reader, because I don't like the constant contact of the Kindle with the internet, and I don't like the idea of storing my stuff on their server.  (This is the same reason I prefer my MP3 player over an I-pod; which my son heartily disagrees with!)

No comments:

Post a Comment